Manual Lymphatic Drainage (MLD) uses a hands-on technique that involves gentle stretching and release of tissue to help the lymphatic system function more efficiently. It is designed to attain and sustain proper functioning of the human fluid system that increases lymphatic flow and stimulates the lymph nodes to increase production of lymphocytes to enhance our body’s immune function. A properly functioning lymphatic system is critical to our body’s ability to drain stagnant fluids, detoxify, regenerate/heal tissue, filter out toxins and foreign substances, and maintain a healthy immune system.
An impaired or sluggish lymph flow slows down the body’s ability to fight off diseases. Congested or inactive lymph nodes can impair the circulation of lymphatic fluids, which results in a back up of fluid containing toxins. These protein rich fluids are an ideal environment where bacteria thrive and multiply leading to an increased susceptibility to sinusitis, colds, flu, and environmental allergic reactions. Lymph flow is hindered by surgery, trauma, burns, infections, substantial swelling, fatigue, stress, or age.
MLD works to help re-circulate the body’s fluids, stimulate functioning of the immune system, and balance the autonomic nervous system. The results of MLD may be:
- Reduction in swelling & lymphedemas
- Relief of chronic & subacute inflammation & conditions such as acne, eczema, & allergies
- Immune system stimulation for preventive & therapeutic effects
- Regeneration of tissues
- Anti-aging effects
- Detoxification of the body
- Relief of chronic pain
- Antipastic actions to relieve conditions such as voluntary or involuntary muscle hypertonus
- Deep relaxation to aid insomnia, depression, stress, loss of vitality, & memory loss
- Reduction in the symptoms of chronic fatigue syndrome & fibromyalgia
- Alleviation of adipose tissue & cellulite
It takes a highly trained professional to perform the therapy properly as a very specific amount of pressure needs to be applied to stimulate the lymphatic system. The therapy itself is very relaxing experience as it is a gentle process of circular massage. If you are interested we welcome you to call us or come in to schedule an appointment.